First Blog Post, About Me!

 

Hi there, my name is Maureen!

     I am a student at Linn Benton Community College, majoring in interior design. I strongly believe that every interior deserves to be created into a space that allows inclusivity, an inviting feeling, and a feeling of liveliness. No space should make it hard for anyone to be in because of inadequate characteristics.   

( my dog Charlie and I)


    I am taking Principles of Marketing this term because of the requirements for my major, but I am excited to take the class either way. I never imagined myself taking marketing or business classes and being interested but I'm slowly realizing that I really enjoy the subject. I look forward to the topics the class will teach me and the connections I will create with the content and my life.  

    My major is a business one which I was very surprised with because that's not what I imagined for interior design, but I'm not disappointed by it being so.

    The topics I'm most interested in the principles of marketing class are understanding and recognizing consumer behavior and how to properly market myself. I find the topic of human behavior to be very intriguing. It allows me to understand what processes, steps, or ideas lead people to do what they do and that's something I will never get bored of. I personally struggle with knowing how to portray my best self to others to get opportunities. I've always had friends, family, and teachers guide and assist me to opportunities and I just have not been able to gain that skill for myself. For that reason, I am very excited to get the first couple of steps of how to market myself and grow that skill set. 

    Other than school and my future goals I have many other passions and hobbies. I am a big outdoor person and love to hike, I know so wild, but in all seriousness, the outdoors is a place I have found so much comfort in since I was little and have always felt so safe and free.
(My first backpacking trip with some friends)

 I think the best feeling is being surrounded by pine trees. Specifically Douglas Firs and feeling the forest ground winds passing by gently and hearing the birds singing into a space that feels enclosed. Some other outdoor hobbies I enjoy are skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing.

   Some passions of mine are creating art and I would for sure call myself an artist humbly. My favorite media is sculpting, in my senior year in high school I took my first ever ceramics class and I fell in love. Soon after I was selected for and entered in many shows for my pieces. One of the shows I was selected for was The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA). Two of my teachers and one of my friends who also got selected went all the way to Cincinnati, Ohio for the show and it was such a fun trip. 
(The sculpture that got into NCECA)

    Other art I make is glasswork, I work with torches, stained glass, and I have recently taken up glass-blowing. Last summer my friend and I got the opportunity of a lifetime to work with a local Newport glass artist who owns their own glass shop called Ocean Beaches Glassblowing & Gallery's. We were able to be apprentices for a couple months and get to learn from such a talented artist. 
(some of my first pieces) 

Those are just a couple things about me, but overall, I enjoy learning new skills and getting out there to experience new things, which I hope to do this term. 

Comments